A. PRONUNCIATIONChoose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
1. A. cheese B. children C. chemical D. teacher
2. A. game B. bridge C. against D. garage
3. A. iron B. celebrate C. parent D. restaurant
4. A. happy B. husband C. hobby D. honest
5. A. who B. where C. when D. whyChoose the word which is stressed differently from the rest:
6. A. sneaky B. floppy C. icing D. embrace
7. A. loyalty B. constancy C. acquaintance D. confidence
8. A. gossip B. interest C. between D. friendship
9. A. unselfish B. sympathy C. quality D. principle
10. A. mutual B. advantageC. possible D. generousB. VOCABULARY
11. She found it difficult to get ______ with new friends.
A. acquaint B. acquainted C. acquaintance D. acquaints
12. My friend often shows her ______ whenever I have troubles.
A. sympathy B. sympathize C. sympathetic D. sympathetically
13. He does not know much about the project but he is very ______.
A. enthusiastic B. enthusiast C. enthusiasm D. enthusiastically
14. Daisy is so ______. She only cares about herself, not about other people.
A. helpful B. selfish D. loyal D. talkative
15. She is not determined and often changes her ideas. What a/an ______ girl she is!
A. uncertain B. mutual C. suspicious D. changeable
16. Although we are classmate, I do not have a ______ relationship with him.
A. aimless B. unselfish C. special D. constant
17. John left a ______ impression on me. I will never forget him.
A. loyal B. lasting C. capable D. constant
18. ______ is the quality of being faithful and loyal to a particular person or belief.
A. Acquaintance B. Constancy C. Sympathy D. Sorrow
19. Two friends should be loyal ______ each other.
A. on B. with C. over D. to
20. My close friend is often concerned ______ all problems that I mention.
A. over B. with C. above D. into
21. Up to now they have not made a ______ whether they will go or not.
A. decide B. decision D. decisive D. decidedly
22. She does not see her grandchildren very often so she makes ______ real fuss of them when she does.
A. a B. an C. the D. Þ
23. I was extremely excited when I first enjoyed a football match in the stadium.
A. too B. very C. so D. much
24. Something that is ______ makes you feel shy or ashamed.
A. careful B. careless C. sneaky D. embarrassing
25. She stood in the mucky yard and hands plunged into the pockets of her ______ coat.
A. floppy B. soft C. tough D. gentle
26. They all denied ______ her.
A. to see B. of seeing C. having ever seen D. ever having seen
27. Up to two thirds of 14 to 16 year olds admit ______ drink illegally.
A. to buying B. for buying C. having bought D. buying
28. In addition to ______, I do the washing up.
A. I prepare dinner B. I am preparing dinner C. prepare dinner D. preparing dinner
29. Tom was accused ______ some top secret document.
A. to steal B. of having stolen C. for stealing D. to have stolen
30. But after ______ it over, I decided to laugh at myself and just join anyway.
A. having thought B. I have thought C. I have thought D. to have thought
31. Mary said “I regret ______ him earlier in my life.”
A. to meet B. not having met C. to have met D. at meeting
32. He never admits ______ wrong.
A. to being B. of being C. to be D. to have been
33. ______ from the horseback, he was taken to hospital and had an operation.
A. When falling B. As he was fallen C. After having fallen D. To fall
34. She must ______ for me after realizing I’d gone missing.
A. having looked B. to have look C. look D. have looked
35. We are talking ______ Canada for our vacation next month.
A. about having gone B. going C. about going D. to go
36. The exam is coming so the teachers make their students ______ a lot.
A. study B. to study C. studying D. studied
37. Her parents want her ______ a doctor.
A. become B. to become C. becoming D. became
38. I consider it my affair ______ the newcomers in my class.
A. to help B. help C. helped D. helping
39. These employees are made ______ overtime.
A. to work B. work C. working D. worked
40. The teacher never lest us ______ out when ______.
A. to go / explains B. go / explaining C. going / to explain
D. gone / explainedD. WRITING
41.We had our house decorated to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
A. We had someone decorate our house.
B. We had to decorate our house.
C. Our house needs to be decorated.
D. We helped my father decorate our house.
42.She is sure to come to the party.
A. I’m sure she came to the party.
B. She’ll surely come to the party.
C. She is certain she came to the party.
D. She knows they will come to the party.
43.She is not old enough to get married.
A. She is too young get married.
B. She is so young that she can’t get married.
C. She is much too young, so can get married.
D. She is so young that she can get married.
44.My friend is keen on learning different languages.
A. It is my friend keenness to learn different languages.
B. Learn different languages is my friend’s hobby.
C. My friend would like to learn different languages.
D. Different languages is my friend’s hobby.
45.When did you begin to work in remote or mountainous areas?
A. How long did you work in remote or mountainous areas?
B. How long did you begin working in remote or mountainous areas?
C. How long are you working in remote or mountainous areas?
D. How long have you been working in remote or mountainous areas?
46. She/ 5 feet/ good looking/ friendly
A. She is 5 feet, good looking, but friendly.
B. She is 5 feet tall, and good looking, friendly.
C. She is 5 feet, good looking, and friendly.
D. She is 5 feet tall but good looking, and friendly.
47. Next Saturday/ 18th birthday
A. Next Saturday is my 18th birthday.
B. Next Saturday is the day of my 18th birthday.
C. Next Saturday would be my 18th birthday
D. Next Saturday will have been my 18th birthday.
48. I/ invite/ you / the party/ 6pm/ my house.
A. So that I would like to invite you to the party at 6pm at my house.
B. I was invited you to the party at 6pm at my house.
C. I would like to invite you to the party at 6pm at my house.
D. I would like to invite you to the party, that will be at 6pm at my house.
49. We/ invite/ you / our house/ enjoy/ party
A. We would like invite you to our house and enjoy the party.
B. We want to invite you for our house and enjoy the party.
C. We would like invite you to our house and enjoying the party.
D. We would like invite you to our house and so enjoy the party.
50. We / build/ shelters/ for them/ settle down
A. We are now building some shelters for them to settle down.
B. We are now building some shelters for them settling down.
C. We are now built some shelters for them to settling down.
D. When we are now building some shelters for them to settle down
I'll give you the answer key when you have finished the test. Good luck!